We serve our clients by reporting accurate timber and timberland market data, and by providing analysis on current and historic trends and events.
- Available here (last updated Jan 10, 2020)
- 4th Quarter 2019 Price Reports distributed Jan, 6 2020
- 4th Quarter 2019 Market News and In Depth & In Focus distributed Jan 10, 2020
- US residential building construction was up nearly 1% YTD-November (compared to down 2% in August) and residential remodeling down 6% from the same period in 2018.
- Manufacturing activity decreased for most of the 4th Quarter with a declining Purchasing Manager’s Index.
- Three pulp mills are investing in new linerboard machines: WestRock in Florence SC, New Indy Containerboard in Catawba SC, and International Paper in Selma AL.
- Three new softwood sawmills started up: Active Energy in Lumberton NC, Angelina Forest Products in Lufkin TX, and Sunbelt Forest Products in Selma AL.
- Pinnacle Renewable Energy announced plans for a new wood pellet mill in Demopolis AL.
South-wide Stumpage Markets
South-wide average prices increased for both pine and hardwood sawtimber as well as for pine pulpwood in the 4th Quarter of 2019; pine chip-n-saw and hardwood pulpwood prices both decreased. Prices for the three major pine products changed very little this quarter; each respective pine product average price increased/decreased 1% or less quarter-over-quarter (Q/Q).
South-wide average prices for the major hardwood products, however, experienced more substantial swings. Specifically, hardwood sawtimber price increased 5% Q/Q and to within $0.35 of its record high set in 3rd Quarter 2016. This upward price movement was in line with seasonal, wintertime trends that have seen hardwood sawtimber prices increase Q/Q in the 4th Quarter in 18 of the last 25 years.
South-wide Average Stumpage Prices
Quarterly Report Distributions
In the News 4Q2019
Published stories in the 4Q2019 Market News include Resolute Forest Products’ agreement to buy Conifex Timber’s three southern pine sawmills in the South and Weyerhaeuser’s two major timberland sales totaling 1.2 million acres in Michigan and Montana. In Depth & In Focus features an article on wood buyers in the US South with their impact on stumpage markets.
Mill Openings & Expansions